This post may contain affiliate links meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you choose to make a purchase after clicking. For more info on this, visit my disclosure page.
Thank you for your support in this way!
Here’s a little taste of what I’ve been listening to lately…
I listen to a lot of Podcasts.
Because, even though sometimes it doesn’t feel like it, there really is a lot of time in the day. A lot of time with a lot of silence. And while sometimes the silence is wonderful, I usually prefer to fill it with something – like podcasts or music.There really is a lot of time in the day. A lot of time with a lot of silence. Click To Tweet
I listen to podcasts when I’m getting ready for work, when I’m driving, and sometimes when I’m grocery shopping (anti-social much?). I’m subscribed to several different podcasts that release new episodes regularly, so it would be kind of hard to review each and every episode. So here are some of the ones that are really standing out to me right now:
- The Lively Show – the host, Jess Lively, is a woman who believes in living life with intention and finding happiness by listening to your intuition. (sounds a little “woo woo”, I know, and it kind of is. She’ll even tell you it is. But it’s still cool, ok?) Her first two seasons she had some amazing guests including Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat, Pray, Love) and Brene Brown (author of Daring Greatly) but now she is traveling around Europe so she mostly does Q&A’s and solo talks about going with the flow and living an intentional life. She still has guest on occasionally, though and her archives are full of some real gems.
- RadioLab (from NPR) – Radiolab is a wonderful hour-long podcast that delves into stories and experiences that you sometimes hear a little about on the news, but often times don’t. And sometimes the episodes aren’t about newsy stuff at all! One of the coolest ones I heard a couple of months ago was their episode “From Tree To Shining Tree.” It was about the network of roots and fungus found among trees and how they share resources, often giving more to the weaker trees, even if those trees are a different type than them. It was utterly fascinating! I urge you to check it out.
- The Tim Ferriss Show – Tim Ferriss is the author of books like The Four Hour Work Week and The Four Hour Body. He’s a self-described human guinea pig that likes to talk to leaders and successful people to learn what makes them tick. Some of his guest do not interest me at all, but I find that almost all of them usually have something to teach people. It’s really great to listen to the writers and he recently had Tony Robbins on which was super cool.
I listen to music mostly when I’m working, working out, or writing. While I don’t mind hearing the new stuff on the radio now and then, I’d usually rather listen to something a little less mainstream. (I know, I know, cue the hipster jokes.)
Songs, artists, or albums that I can’t get enough of right now:
- Chateau Lobby #4 by Father John Misty. Someone I worked with put this song on and I immediately fell in love! My favorite line goes something like “you left a note in your perfect script, stay as long as you want, and I haven’t left your bed since.” Ugh! So good. The girl reassured me that all his (? This band’s?) songs were just as good, so I’ll probably be downloading more.
- Yes I Was Drunk by Twin Atlantic. I heard this song a long time ago but recently it seems like I put it on almost every time I’m rocking out. The band is out of Scotland and you can tell in their voice. My favorite line from the song is “nothing could stop me leaving, the impulse runs through my blood. I hope you live for your freedom, I hope you enjoy the lust.” *swoon* I swear, those words speak to me on a magical level.
- The entire soundtrack for This Is Where I Leave You. I loved this movie for a lot of reasons but a huge factor was the soundtrack! I love a good soundtrack. Blue Mind by Alexi Murdoch is especially wonderful and there’s even a Cyndi Lauper song in there. Give it a listen, you won’t be disappointed.
What are you listening to?! I’d love to hear about new podcasts or new music, so let me know in the comments!